Calling all curly girls!! We have found some fabulous tips for caring for those curls so that you can have the best hair day ever, everyday! These are some great at home tips to help you in between visits with us for trims that will help you love your curls!
1. Cover the sink with plastic wrap before detangling your hair. Never clog the sink again.
2. When detangling your hair, use your fingers or a wide-tooth comb instead of a brush to prevent breakage and preserve the shape of your curls.
3. When combing or brushing your hair, gradually move upward instead of starting at the roots. It’s much easier to comb through knots at the ends first.
4. Before stepping into the shower, apply a deep conditioner to your hair, tuck it into a shower cap, and wash your body before washing your hair as normal. The steam from the shower will help lock in moisture.
5. Mix a small amount of sulfate-free shampoo with a lot of conditioner to make your own cleansing conditioner, which gently washes while it deeply moisturizes. Apply the mixture to the crown of your head and thoroughly massage it into your scalp, focusing on just the roots (since this area is oilier) and letting it rinse toward the ends after a few minutes. This will clean your hair without stripping all the natural oils, which causes dry, brittle hair.
6. If you have extra-dry hair, skip shampoo completely and try “co-washing” or washing your hair with only conditioner once a week or as often as needed to prevent fluffy hair. If your hair lacks oil or moisture, you don’t need shampoo.
7. Instead of combing your hair after you’ve dried off, liberally apply conditioner, and comb it through your hair while still in the shower. Combing your hair after the shower will separate your curls and cause frizz.
8. Don’t completely rinse out all the conditioner when washing your hair. It’s OK to leave some residual conditioner in your hair. Your curly ends need all the moisture they can get.
9. After washing your hair, wring out the water with a T-shirt instead of a towel to prevent tangles and frizz. Unlike a T-shirt, towels will absorb too much water and moisture out of the hair, which causes frizz, instead of just the excess water. The smoothness of a T-shirt will also help smooth your curls and prevent them from getting matted together.
For the rest of this article go to cosmopolitan.com