If it’s not already totally apparent, we’re shamelessly pumped to get glammed up this holiday. We’ve planned the perfect outfit—sequined from top to toe of course!—chosen our favorite shimmery makeup looks, and picked out festive and elegant nail art. Now all that’s left to decide is what the heck to do with our hair, and since we’re locked into that go-big-or-go-home mentality, we’re zoning in on the updo.
Luckily, there’s a trove of tutorials around to provide you with inspiration for putting your own spin on this dashing ‘do, so you’re covered whether you want to go for a more vintage-inspired look or stick with a modern style. Ready to put your hair up so you can party on? Check out these 20 party-ready updos to try this holiday.
1. The Modern Bouffant: We’ll kick off this roundup with a sleek, sky-high ‘do. It’s a playful, ‘60s-inspired look that would compliment a basic black maxi like a dream.
2. Elegant Holiday Updo: Amp up a classic updo with an elegant gemstone hairpin. This chic, yet slightly messy style is a great way to camouflage second day hair.
3. Quick Roll and Tuck Updo: This hair style really lives up to its name—the tease, roll, and tuck takes less than two minutes to do! We’re labeling it a go-to last minute look.
4. High French Twist Faux Hawk: Turn heads with this towering hairstyle. We’re definitely picking up some rockabilly vibes here, which you can tone down with sparkly studs and an on-trend lip color like deep berry.
5. Braided Bow Bun: Why add embellishments to your hair when your locks can be the bow!? Now is the time to play around with this over-the-top look—we’d rock it to our holiday party with a modern jumpsuit.
6. Yarn Messy Bun: We know yarn works wonders in the pom pom world, but never thought to incorporate it into a festive updo. This style totally works for the holiday season, adding a pop of Christmas color to a basic bun.
7. The Part-Happy Pony: We don’t know what we like more, this super sleek take on a traditional ponytail, or this models insane auburn hair color. One thing’s for sure, this look is precise—each level of this ‘do is shockingly seamless.
8. Waterfall Braided Bun: We usually would never toss sound advice from TLC by the wayside, but this is one waterfall we’re definitely chasing after! 😉 This cascading braid is so posh.
9. Classic Updo With Silver Leaves: Pin curls set the base for this vintage-inspired updo. The look is really lovely on its own, or take our lead and finish with a metallic headband.
10. Knotted Chignon: Before this, our general thought on the chignon was largely “meh.” Now, we’re nuts about this tiered and twisted version that strikes a balance between simple and sculptural.
For more great updo ideas go to brit.co